Board of Equalization

We're ACCEPTING applications for the Board of Equalization now!

Apply Here

Board of Equalization’s Duties & Responsibilities

The Board’s primary and foremost concern is the equalization of real estate assessments to ensure that the real estate tax is borne equally by all citizens of King William County. The Board of Equalization is a 5-member citizen panel, recommended by the Board of Supervisors and appointed by the Circuit Court Virginia Code 58.1-3374 has the following criteria for service on the Board of Equalization:

  • They must live in King William County.
  • A majority must be property owners in King William County (all are property owners).
  • 30% (two) must be real estate, legal, or financial professionals, or builders and developers (three qualify).
  • Each prospective member shall attend an instructional course provided by the Department of Taxation.


The Board of Equalization hold hearings for the purpose of hearing all complaints of inequalities, including errors in acreage, and for the purpose of equalizing real estate assessments where necessary. The BOE has the power to increase, decrease, or keep the same assessment upon its review. In every appeal, the taxpayer has the burden of rebutting the presumption that the valuation determined by the assessor is correct and showing by a preponderance of the evidence that the property is valued at more than its fair market value.

The Board of Equalization hearings are advertised in the local newspaper with the hearing dates and the location. All applicants are notified of hearing dates and times by mail. 

45-Day Notice

Section 58.1-3331 of the Code of Virginia requires that owners with less than 4 residential units be given a 45-day notice prior to their hearing date. Property owners have the option to request a hearing date earlier than 45 days from the date the appeal is made by signing a waiver (PDF) agreeing to waive the required 45-day notice in advance of their hearing date.


For other questions about the reassessment or property values, please contact Commissioner of the Revenue Sally Pearson.